Reflecting on TIES 2015


I started attending the TIES conference in 2005. Over the years, the devices, software, and websites have changed, but the message has remained the same: Technology is not about learning to use technology; it is about using technology to learn.

George Couros was the first keynote speaker, that I can remember, to receive a standing ovation at the conference. He had a way of using humor and storytelling to connect and personalize his message for each member in the audience. Like many of the attendees, I have been following and learning from @gcouros for a number of years. This may have been one of the reasons he was able to quickly engage the audience; we already had a relationship with him.

I have been reflecting on the conference and his presentation. I keep coming back to one of his quotes, "isolation is now a choice educators make" (Couros, 2015).

Technology tools like blogs and Twitter allow educators to learn from each other, create new content, and share their experiences. TIES 2015 reminded me how much I have learned from educators, many of whom I have never met. So for the new year, I am recommitting myself to blogging on a regular basis and providing the following professional development opportunities:

  1. Blogging in the Classroom
  2. Using Feedly to Follow Blogs
  3. Building Your PLN with Twitter


is the Director of Technology Integration for the New Prague (MN) Area Schools. In 1996, he began teaching middle school technology education. He has been sharing technology integration strategies since 2005.

Related Posts

0 comments :

Post a Comment